I was in the middle of a tour of my show about Northern women when the world went mad. I’m still being a poet and broadcaster though. Here’s an update on some stuff I’ve done lately/am doing:
- Writing a show for the Ted Hughes Festival about an imagined encounter between the poet Ted Hughes and the comedian Bernard Manning (!)
- I’ve been collaborating with photographer Colin Potsig on projects where we use my words and his images to explore things- initially fellow autistic people. Now other stuff, e.g the video above and:?https://wellcomecollection.org/articles/XuNqyRIAACIArun9
- I finished my collection of poems The Oscillations which is coming out with Nine Arches Press in February 2021?https://www.thebookseller.com/news/indie-press-nine-arches-publish-100th-book-followed-12-new-titles-1222677
- My show “Bigger on the Inside” exploring neuordiversity and autism through the lens of Doctor Who was commissioned by, and performed at the BBC’s Contains Strong Language Festival in September 2020. Further outings are planned.?https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/ezb3v2/acts/abdrj5
- I presented a Pick of the Week for Radio 4 in May and have made some appearances on my favourite radio show Radio 3’s The Verb- including with a piece about how lockdown made me lose my sense of humour and how much I missed cafes:?https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000h2kq
- It sounds like I’ve been really busy. I’ve actually felt like this is the best rest I’ve had for years. I’ve seen friends, swum and sorted my flat out. I almost forget I used to do loads of stuff. As a reminder for me- this was a lovely profile of me by Hazel Davis that came out in the Before Times.?https://www.yorkshirelife.co.uk/people/kate-fox-1-6291355
I’m also working on a project which will continue my celebration of Northern women “Where There’s Muck There’s Bras”. Details to be revealed when contract ?ink is dry! Check out the show’s website, here! Or check out the trailer for the touring solo version of the show here:
and our fabulous Oasister video here:
“Fabulous, feminist and funny”- Morning Star.
“Winning, witty and wise”- Acumen.
Kate Fox works mainly as a stand-up poet and as a broadcaster and speaker. As she points out on stage, if you say you’re a comedian who does poems, not many people will come and see you; whereas if you say you’re a poet who does comedy…still not many people will come and see you but at least you get Arts Council funding… She enjoys being a variety of things but has found it can make you hard to categorise. Basically she’s a writer and performer and due to her extensive work on the radio in the past few years, quite a few people do come and see her work after all.
That includes two comedy series called The Price of Happiness for Radio 4 about things she’s supposed to want but doesn’t and her current touring show “Where There’s Muck There’s Bras” about notable Northern women. She is a familiar radio voice, having presented Pick of the Week on Radio 4 and been a regular contributor to Radio 3’s The Verb, among many other broadcasts.
She has been Poet in Residence for the Great North Run, Glastonbury Festival and Radio 4’s Saturday Live. She has also performed her poetry on BBC1 and BBC2. She has supported acts including Linton Kwesi Johnson, Hollie McNish, John Cooper Clarke and John Hegley and is a headline act in her own right.
She’s also a gentle activist and campaigner for the voices of Northerners, the working class, women and the neurodiverse to be heard; mainly by teaching and running workshops in schools and community groups -and by speaking, writing, raising awareness and tutting at injustice and inequality.
ps: I AM NOT THE KATE FOX THE SOCIAL ANTHROPOLOGIST WHO WROTE WATCHING THE ENGLISH. NOT HER, NO. DO NOT GET IN TOUCH TO ASK ME TO TALK ABOUT WHY ENGLISH PEOPLE QUEUE AND DRINK TEA. THOUGH I HAVE THOUGHTS ON THIS AND MANY OTHER THINGS.
Some quick links:?
Recent poem: ?สล็อต 66 เครดิตฟรี
Lass War protest:?Some info
Kate Fox in the National Portrait Gallery:?Link to Portrait and Blurb about it.
Her two Radio 4 shows on iPlayer:?The Price of Happiness
Her book Fox Populi from Smokestack Press:?Buy here
A video poem about the importance of tea (commissioned by Yorkshire Festival):
A poem ITV filmed before she set off to be Glastonbury Festival Poet in Residence:?Here
Do get in touch with gig queries, questions, thoughts, kind words….